Coins under cornerstones

Mistä kannattaa etsiä ja miten? Miten syvaltä kolikko loytyy? Mitä pakkaat reppuusi ja mikä on kaivamisen apuvälineesi?
disallowed

Coins under cornerstones

Viesti Kirjoittaja disallowed » 29 Maalis 2019, 12:59

Apologies that this is in English.

Last summer I found (on the Russian side of Karelia) two hammered German coins (separately) from the 11th century, and both their locations seemed to indicate that they may have been placed under an old foundation. There were no stones (probably taken and used in a later building nearby), but the coins were accompanied by old rusty nails, which may indicate a wall.

I know that Russians sometimes placed coins or other objects under what they called "red corner", which is the right hand corner as you look at the house from the main street.

I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience finding Medieval/Viking age coins under building corners or walls. Two occasions do not make a pattern, so I want to research this further.

Also, if you've ever found hammered German/English coins in Finland, what was their location/placement? Field, river bank, rock, etc.?
XP Deus
Oldest finds: Iron age weapons, jewelry. Oldest coin: German pfennig 1046-1056.
Helping me dig: my karjalankarhukoira Taika and her puppy Björn

disallowed

Re: Coins under cornerstones

Viesti Kirjoittaja disallowed » 29 Maalis 2019, 13:05

By the way, this is some interesting reading: a dissertation by Sonja Hukantaival from Turun Yliopisto, "For a witch cannot cross such a threshold!” – Building concealment traditions in Finland c. 1200–1950

https://www.utupub.fi/handle/10024/1256 ... -IFT0DxmCg
XP Deus
Oldest finds: Iron age weapons, jewelry. Oldest coin: German pfennig 1046-1056.
Helping me dig: my karjalankarhukoira Taika and her puppy Björn

Vastaa Viestiin